Saturday, February 27, 2010

Broccoli and Roasted Tomato Pseudo-Frittata



I made this for brunch, but it could easily be a dinner dish instead. 

I've made so many changes from the original that I don't think this really qualifies as the same recipe.  Old baguette was substituted for pasta.  Smoked gruyere seemed better than just Parmesan.  I used roasted cherry tomatoes because I had some sitting in the fridge begging to be eaten, but the original calls for sun-dried tomatoes although I'm sure those would be very good as well.  I reduced the eggs and forgot the milk (you should probably add the milk!).  Garlic powder and Italian seasonings were added for flavouring.  Oh yes, and regular broccoli was used in place of broccoli rabe.  Finally, I need to invest in a cast iron skillet so I can make a frittata.  Instead, I just layered everything in a shallow 9" disposable pie plate and placed it in the oven.  It fit the pie plate perfectly.

If you want to add some meat, I think this would also be amazing with a few slices of cut up bacon or prosciutto mixed in!

Broccoli and Roasted Tomato Pseudo-Frittata (loosely inspired by epicurious.com)

Ingredients
1 cup cubed baguette (or cooked pasta)
1/4 cup roasted cherry tomatoes (or 2 sliced sun-dried tomatoes)
1 cup chopped broccoli
4 eggs
2 tbsp milk (optional ... I forgot)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasonings
1/2 cup grated gruyere
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp grated Parmesan

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Cook broccoli for 2 minutes.  Drain and set aside.
3. Layer a pie dish with baguette cubes, tomatoes, and broccoli.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk (optional - I didn't miss it!), garlic powder, Italian seasonings, gruyere, salt, and pepper.
5. Pour egg mixture over broccoli.  Mix together.  (You may seem a little light on egg mixture at this point.  Don't worry, it will all work out as it bakes!)  Dust with grated Parmesan.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or  until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment