Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gorgonzola Drop Biscuits

I have a serious weakness for biscuits.  I blame my Southern roots.  When I saw a post on Smitten Kitchen for blue cheese scallion biscuits and knew I had some leftover gorgonzola in the fridge, I took it as a sign.  I made a few changes ... I skipped the scallions and added onion powder and garlic powder instead.  I reduced the amount of cheese in the recipe to match what I had in the fridge (I think any more and the flavour would've been overpowering).  I also cut the recipe in half (it made 7 biscuits) and substituted regular milk for buttermilk.  The end product was unlike any biscuit I've had before, but delicious ... experimental cooking at its finest!

Gorgonzola Drop Biscuits (adapted from Smitten Kitchen) (from Gourmet)

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/3 cups crumbled gorgonzola
1/2 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Stir in gorgonzola. Add milk and stir until just combined.
4. Drop dough in 6 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet, or one lined with parchment paper. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 16 to 20 minutes (it only took 12 minutes or so for me, so check often!).

No comments:

Post a Comment