Thursday, November 10, 2011

Roasted Beets with Cumin-Mint Vinaigrette

I told myself that I wasn't going to buy any more cookbooks until the New Year. I gave my mother a list of the cookbooks I've been coveting as gift ideas and then attempted to forget about all the books I've seen and wanted. Then, I needed just $7 for free shipping on Amazon so I could continue reading the Song of Ice and Fire series. Amazon was also only too happy to inform me that a new book was out that I might be interested in. And was I interested? Oh, yes. I jumped on the book sight unseen as I've greatly enjoyed another book by the same author. It's somewhat ironic that my first recipe from this book isn't meat based, but it was delicious!

I didn't have a full pound of beets for the recipe, so I substituted in with 1/2 beets and 1/2 celeriac. I'm not sure I would mix the two again, but I think both of the vegetables worked amazingly well with the vinaigrette. I also wasn't sure how much I would like the combination of cumin and mint, but I have to admit, it's excellent. One recipe down ... quite a few more to go!

One year ago: Mashed Brussels Sprouts
Two years ago: Swiss Chard and Sweet Potato Gratin

Roasted Beets with Cumin-Mint Vinaigrette (from All About Roasting)

Ingredients
450g beets, scrubbed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and ground pepper
vinaigrette
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
salt and pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Peel beets and cut into 3/4" cubes. Place in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on baking sheet.
3. Roast in oven until tender, about 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine lemon juice and cumin. Add salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil and stir in mint.
5. Pour vinaigrette over cooked beets and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment