Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hummus

I've tried making hummus before, but I've never been 100% satisfied with it, so I had resigned myself to supermarket hummus. I decided to give it one last try. I've always heard that secret to silky smooth hummus is removing the skins, but never had the patience for it. Sadly (or thankfully depending on your perspective) that does appear to be the secret ... along with processing for 5 minutes and adding iced water. Luckily, getting the skins off of chickpeas that have been cooked, frozen, and thawed is remarkably easy. If you don't already do this, I highly recommend cooking bags of dried beans in the freezer and then portioning out into ziplock snack bags to freeze for later use.

One year ago: Miso-sesame Sear Roasted Pork Tenderloin

Hummus (from Jerusalem)

Ingredients
600g cooked chickpeas, skins removed
1 cup plus 2 tbsp tahini paste (270g)
4 tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 1/2 tbsp/100 ml ice-cold water
1 1/2 tsp salt

1. Place chickpeas in food processor and process until you have a stiff paste.
2. With machine running, add tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.
3. Drizzle in iced water and allow to mix for 5 minutes until very smooth and creamy.
4. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for at least 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment