Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ninfa's Green Sauce

I have a slightly obsession with green sauce.  Chuy's bean burrito with tomatillo sauce is one of my biggest cravings.  This sauce is amazing.  Great for dipping chips or tortillas, it can be poured over burritos, or pair it with the carnitas recipe I'll be posting shortly.

I couldn't find fresh tomatillos or jalapenos here, so I had to use canned.  For the tomatillos, I could find canned whole tomatillos, so that was easy, but for the jalapenos, I could only find canned diced jalapenos, so I used 2 heaping tbsp of the canned diced stuff.  The result is a sauce that isn't super spicy, but does have a tiny bit of warmth.  I was able to find green tomatoes at Jean Talon (for $1 a bushel!), but they were super tiny, so I doubled the green tomatoes.  Original recipe instructions are included below for people more likely to find the proper veggies.  Oh, and if you're looking for cilantro in Montreal, it's coriandre.


Ninfa's Green Sauce (from Homesick Texan)

Ingredients

3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 cups of sour cream


1. Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment