Monday, November 16, 2009

Creamy Carrot Soup

The Val-Mont had carrots on sale the other week ... 5 lbs for 99 cents.  Of course, I only needed 2 or 3 carrots for my recipes, but they were 99 cents! So I decided to try making carrot soup.  This recipe came out a little thin (or maybe it just seems thin after the hearty potato soup that was closer to mashed potatoes).  Next time, I'd cut down on the broth and/or cream.  I did substitute 1 cup whole milk for 1 cup heavy cream ... just because I had extra whole milk sitting in the fridge that I wanted to get rid of.  I didn't have rosemary, so I substituted a blend of Italian herbs.

Creamy Carrot Soup (from allrecipes)

Ingredients

 1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter, cubed
4 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender.
2. Add carrots, potato, broth and ginger.
3. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Blend with an immersion blender.
5. Stir in the cream, rosemary, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment