Saturday, November 28, 2009

Spinach Pomegranate Salad

I decided that for Thanksgiving, I was slightly heavy on carb and cheese based dishes and should be serving something a little more green and healthy.  Initially, I was leaning towards a very holiday-ish recipe I'd seen on Smitten Kitchen (mainly arugula, pomegranate seeds, and proscuittio), but I wanted to avoid having meat, so I went searching for other inspiration and found this ... simple, yet delicious.  I left out the red onion and alfalfa.  Toss with whatever dressing you love.  I used a honey balsamic, but I think most people just ignored the dressing!

And in case you're wondering, the easy way to get the pomegranate seeds out is to cut the ends off and the score the pomegranate.  In a bowl of cold water, take the pomegranate apart so you don't splash yourself with the juices.  The seeds will sink to the bottom and the fleshier parts will float.  Skim the top, then drain the seeds.

UPDATE:  With plenty of leftover pomegranate seeds on hand and some prosciutto in the fridge crying out to be used, I tried a variation on this salad last night that was amazing.  Substitute the spinach for arugula and add some strips of prosciutto ... delicious!


Spinach Pomegranate Salad (from allrecipes)

Ingredients

250g baby spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 pomegranate, peeled and seeds separated

1. Place spinach in a salad bowl. Top with walnut, feta, and pomegranate seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment