Sunday, November 28, 2010

Couscous with Herbs and Lemon

While reading the reviews for the lamb stew I made, I stumbled upon this couscous recipe. I had only impulsively bought basil (should I be worried that I now impulsively buy fresh herbs instead of things like candy?), so I had to make do without the parsley and mint. The original recipe, however, is included below for my future reference (and your use!).

One year ago: The amazing macaroni and cheese recipe

Couscous with Herbs and Lemon (from epicurious.com)

Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided (I used cheap EVOO for the first part and my good olive oil for the second)
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups couscous
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste

1. Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
3. Add water and broth and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in couscous, then cover and remove from heat. Let couscous stand, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and stir in herbs, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment