Sunday, November 14, 2010

Orzo with Everything

Usually, I would wait to post this recipe because I adapted it significantly from the original based on what I had on hand and I'm confidant that the original (or at least a closer variant on the original is better). But instead of waiting to make it again as it's already quite out of season and I have a feeling I'll forget this recipe if I don't post by the time spring/summer rolls around, I'm posting. I'm also including below some variation suggestions that I think would work well.

To make this a full meal, you might try adding shrimp or chickpeas. The recipe also suggests serving cold, but I'm more of a fan of hot dishes, so if you can't bear to wait for it to cool, go ahead and eat right away, although some commenters did note that the flavours meld better made the day before.

One year ago: Some Carrot Soup I never really appreciated because I came down with the flu the next day or so


Orzo with Everything (from epicurious.com)


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 10 ounces)
1/3 cup (packed) chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (consider doubling)
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (consider cutting back to 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (use white balsamic if concerned about the orzo being brown)
1/4 cup (packed) chopped Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives (consider doubling)
1 cup finely chopped radicchio (consider substituting arugula or red cabbage)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (consider substituting feta)
2 large garlic cloves, minced

1. Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water (some people cook in chicken broth for more flavour) until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain well. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Add sun-dried tomatoes, oil, vinegar and olives and toss to blend. Let stand until cool. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
3. Mix chopped radicchio, pine nuts, chopped basil, Parmesan and garlic into orzo mixture. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment