Wednesday, February 9, 2011

City Chicken

For Superbowl themed food, I had an idea of what to make for Green Bay and Dallas (the host city), but I was drawing a blank when it came to Pittsburgh. After checking wikipedia (and deciding that pierogi were entirely too much work), I noticed city chicken was on the list of traditional Pittsburgh food. When pork was cheap relative to chicken, this was a cheap, but tasty food. I'd made this dish many years ago and remembered enjoying it (I'm not a huge pork fan and this makes it taste more like chicken!). It's also simple. I think you could probably make this in a slow cooker if you don't have the time to let it simmer for an hour or two on the stove. The original recipe called for dried thyme, but I subbed a sprig of fresh rosemary I had sitting in the freezer. I also skipped on the skewers.

City Chicken (adapted from allrecipes.com)


Ingredients
570g pork loin, cut into 1 inch pieces
all-purpose flour for coating (the original calls for 1 1/2 cups, this seemed excessive to me)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth
1 sprig fresh rosemary or thyme
1 bay leaf

1. Mix salt, pepper and flour in a bowl. Coat pork cubes with flour mixture.
2. In a skillet, brown pork on all sides in a small amount of vegetable oil (you may need to do this in batches).
3. Add chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf to skillet. Scrape up any brown bits.
4. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender and sauce has thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment