Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lemon Raspberry Pudding Cake

All weekend long, I've had the phrase "when life hands you lemons ..." stuck in my head, so I decided it was only appropriate that I make a lemony dessert while trying to make the best of a weekend vacation that didn't happen.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this dessert, but it seemed like I couldn't go wrong with lemon and raspberry. The top layer ends up being light and airy like a souffle. The bottom becomes a pudding. I added the frozen raspberries and then reduced the milk slightly per the blogger's suggestion, but the pudding was still a little on the thin side. Maybe less milk is the answer, maybe not, but even if the pudding is a little thin, this is still a delicious dessert that reminds me of summer ... even if summer is still a few months away here. (And in the spirit of making the best of a less than ideal situation, I just need to keep reminding myself that at least in the winter, I can back as much as I want without worrying about overheating the apartment!)

One year ago: Broccoli and Roasted Tomato Pseudo Frittata

Lemon Raspberry Pudding Cake (from Get Off Your Butt and BAKE!, originally the Martha Stewart Website)

Ingredients
Unsalted butter, room temperature, for custard cups
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest, (1 lemon)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup milk (maybe even only 1/2 a cup, see notes above)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, crushed

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set a kettle of water to boil. Butter six 6-ounce custard cups and place in a dish towel-lined baking dish or roasting pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until light; whisk in flour.
3. Gradually whisk in lemon juice, then milk and zest.
4. With an electric mixer in a separate bowl, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
5. Add whites to lemon batter and fold in gently with a whisk (batter will be quite liquid).
6. Fold in crushed raspberries.
7. Divide batter among prepared custard cups; place baking dish in oven and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up sides of cups. Bake until puffed and lightly browned (but pudding is still visible in bottom), 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment