Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cornbread

I've posted a cornbread recipe before, but it was used for cornbread dressing and I wasn't as happy with it on its own. When a friend asked me to bring over some cornbread for dinner Friday night, I went straight to a reliable source ... Homesick Texan. My previous recipe included shortening which I understand has its place, but I don't particularly enjoy cooking with. This recipe doesn't and surprisingly enough, I had everything I needed (including the buttermilk) on hand. Well, everything except a cast iron skillet ... one day I'll buy one.

One year ago: Scrambled Eggs with Broccoli Pesto

Cornbread (from Homesick Texan)

Ingredients
2 cups of cornmeal (yellow or white)
1/2 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Put the drippings or oil in a cast iron skillet and place it in the oven for a few minutes until it’s sizzling.
3. Mix together dry ingredients. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg and buttermilk. Mix with dry ingredients
5. Take cast iron skillet out of oven, and pour hot oil into batter, and mix.
6. Pour batter into cast iron skillet, bake in oven for 20 minutes. Cornbread should be brown on top and pulling away from the sides of the skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment