Sunday, March 6, 2011

Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers

I don't generally buy snack foods, because if there's not something around to snack on, I usually don't have the urge to snack. When I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen though, I knew right away what I'd be making this weekend. This recipe is remarkably quick to throw together ... unless you decide to make it complicated. While I don't have the dedication to make goldfish-shaped goldfish crackers (although I admire people who do!), I thought I could pretend this was slightly healthier than it is by making vegetable-shaped goldfish cracker. Cutting the crackers into cute vegetable shapes was definitely the most labour-intensive part. And the end result? Remarkably like those little goldfish I used to adore when I was little.


I scaled the recipe in half, but otherwise stayed true to the original. My main reason for scaling was I didn't think my food processor could handle the full amount. I need to buy a larger food processor but keep putting it off. If you have a big enough food processor, please go with the full recipe!

Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers (from Smitten Kitchen, originally The Lee Bros)


Ingredients
6 ounces (1 1/2 cups coarsely grated) sharp cheddar, orange if you can find one you like
4 tablespoons (2 ounces or 57 grams) butter
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces or 62 grams) whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (1 1/8 ounces or 31 grams) all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon table salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, running the machine until the dough forms a ball, about two minutes.
2. If the dough feels warm or worrisome-ly soft, wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. This also makes it easier to transfer shapes once they are rolled out.
3. On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick. Form shapes with a cookie cutter, dipping it in flour from time to time to ensure a clean cut. Gently transfer crackers to an ungreased cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch between them.
4. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment