Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hash Browns

I've been craving hash browns and with potatoes on hand just waiting to be used, I decided it was time to indulge that craving. This recipe should be seen more as guidelines rather than strict following. I added some chives because we had some sitting around and then remembered that my favourite seasoning for hash browns was always Lawry's seasoning salt. Of course, I don't have that on hand, but figured that I could add some paprika to the mix to remind me of the salt. Next time I would probably at least double the paprika. These came out fairly well if I do say so myself. Serve with bacon and fried eggs for a perfect, filling breakfast. Don't forget the ketchup.

Two years ago: Potato and Bacon Muffins (I really need to make these again!)

Hash Browns (an improvised original)

Ingredients
2 russet potatoes
1 small onion, diced
3 - 4 chives, minced
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp hot paprika (I would double next time)
1/4 cup flour
1 egg
bacon grease (from the bacon you cooked for breakfast)

1. Grate potatoes using a cheese grater. If the mixture seems overly moist, squeeze out with towels.
2. In a small bowl, mix together grated potatoes, onion, chives, salt and pepper to taste, paprika, flour, and egg.
3. In a medium skillet, heat bacon grease. Place potato mixture in skillet and spread into a thin layer.
4. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Hash browns should hold together at this point.
5. Carefully flip to the other side and cook for another 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment