Sunday, January 10, 2010

Spinach Quiche

I'm becoming convinced that at least half of the recipes I try are found solely because I want to use up ingredients.  In this case, the Metro only had a giant box of organic spinach (about 500g) and not the usual smaller size.  The spinach was reaching the end of its life span and I couldn't bear to see it go to waste, so I needed something that used a lot of spinach ... and smitten kitchen came to my rescue.  The recipe calls for frozen spinach, but I used fresh and just cooked it down a little first.  I went a little heavy (as usual) on the gruyere cheese  and a little light on the Parmesan and was not disappointed.  All in all, a delicious way to use up a lot of spinach!

Spinach Quiche (from Smitten Kitchen) (Adapted from Adapted from Bon Appetit, October 1991)

Ingredients

1/2 cup + 1tbsp cream cheese (or 1 3oz package if you're in the US), room temperature
1/3 cup milk
3 eggs
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup grated gruyere (I adore the smoked gruyere)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
4 to 6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper 
1 pie crust


1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in milk and eggs. Mix in remaining ingredients.
3. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
4. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment