Monday, January 25, 2010

Black Bean Soup

Another smitten kitchen recipe!  She raves about the cream that you put on top at the end, but I'm not a huge fan of sour cream, so I skipped it and just topped with cheese.  I also upped the amount of chipotle peppers, so if you don't like the heat, dial them back a bit (she recommends 1 tbsp).  The original also calls for only removing 2 cups of beans, blending them, and leaving the soup somewhat chunky.  I'm more used to creamy black bean soup and the temptation to not chop veggies very finely and just stick in the immersion blender was too great, so I made the soup completely smooth.  Finally, I added 2 tbsp epazote.  It's an herb used to help with the ... umm, digestion of the beans and gas.  I've been taught to always use it when making black beans ... and I like the smell, so I added it in.

Black Bean Soup (from Smitten Kitchen) (Adapted from Bon Appetit)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium-size red onions, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tbsp epazote
500g dried black beans
3 chipotle chiles, chopped
7 cups hot water (I just used very hot tap water)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and both bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about eight minutes.
2. Add garlic, epazote, and cumin; stir one minute.
3. Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker. Add beans and chipotles, then 7 cups hot water. Cover and cook on high until beans are very tender, about 4 hours.
4. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender.
5. Stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. Ladle soup into bowls.  Top with SK's cream suggestion, cheese, or whatever your heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment