Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Arugula, Strawberry, and Caramelized Pear Salad

Sadly, I think we've hit the end of strawberry season.  The prices are starting to go back up and they no longer look as amazing, but at least I had one last salad to savour the strawberries.  This is simple, but delicious.  When I served it, the first comment I got (from someone who had recently returned from Las Vegas) was "this doesn't taste like a US salad" ... no, no it doesn't ... and thank you!

Arugula, Strawberry, and Caramelized Pear Salad (from Palachinka)

Ingredients (per person)
1/2 of a pear (the original suggests Williams, I used a reddish pear because it was from the US and the alternative was from China)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp brown sugar
1.5 tbsp olive ol
handful of arugula
2 strawberries, sliced
blue cheese (I used roquefort)
balsamic vinegar

1. Thinly slice the pear.  Coat in the sugars.
2. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat.  Add pear and saute until caramelized.
3. Toss together arugula, sliced strawberries, and pear.  Crumble blue cheese on top.  Pour balsamic vinegar to taste on salad.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment