Saturday, July 17, 2010

Watermelon Cooler

I saw a picture of this recipe on foodgawker and thought it looked refreshing and delicious, but when was I going to have watermelon on hand? Then while at the Val-Mont buying raspberries and blueberries, I noticed a large container of watermelon on sale for $1.50. I took it as a sign from the universe that I needed to try the recipe given that I had leftover vodka sitting in my freezer (little did I know it also called for triple sec that I also had leftover from the margaritas we made for one of the many Tex-Mex gatherings).

I have no idea what the weight was on the watermelon I bought (I thought it was close to 3lbs, but who knows), but the alcohol seemed like a bit much, so I cut it in half. Original is included below for people who like a stronger drink.

Watermelon Cooler (from Dine and Dish)

Ingredients
3 lbs watermelon, rind and seeds discarded and the flesh cut into pieces
1/2 cup vodka
1/4 cup Triple Sec
3 tbsps fresh lime juice

1. In a blender purée the watermelon pieces and strain the purée through a very fine sieve set over a pitcher, discarding the solids. (There should be about 2-1/3 cups juice).
2. Stir in the vodka, the Triple Sec, and the lime juice, pour the cooler into long-stemmed glasses filled with ice cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment