Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Zucchini Curry

There are some cooking steps I'm just not ready for. At the moment, I can think of a big three:
1. Making homemade pasta.
2. Making stock/broth from scratch.
3. Using a mortar and pestle to make pastes (and let's also include hand-chopping garlic here).

I know I should try these things. I know they might be better, but I just can't bring myself to take that extra step, which is why I will say that this recipe is adapted. Technically, I should have roasted seeds and then pounded things together into a paste, but I didn't and it still worked out. This is a quick and easy weeknight meal that's done in the same amount of time (or less) as it takes to make rice. I kept the spices the same and halved the recipe for myself (and still ended up with enough for 3 meals), but the original is included below. It was a tiny bit more spicy than I would've liked (maybe I should've gone with 1 serrano pepper instead of 2?), but I think I would've found the unadjusted recipe too bland, so feel free to do with it as you please. Serve over cooked rice.

Zucchini Curry (adapted from Gourmet Today)


Ingredients
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 - 2 serrano peppers, minced
2 tsps freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp Madras Masala (or other curry powder)
1/4 tsp ground coriander
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, minced (or thinly sliced)
6 medium zucchinis cut into 1/2" thick slices
1 can coconut milk well stirred (I used lite because that's all they had)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup roasted cashews, chopped
cooked rice

1. Heat oil in a wide heavy pot over moderately high heat. Add onion, spices, pepper, and garlic. Cook until onion is golden, about 8 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium low, add zucchini and cook, stirring, until it begins to look moist, 3 - 5 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is just tender, 10 - 12 minutes.
4. Sprinkle with cilantro and cashews and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment