Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Spiced Molasses Cream Cheese Frosting

Gingerbread cookies are fine, but I think cupcakes are an improvement. I realized while making batch one of these that I need to learn to trust my instincts and not go with cupcake recipes that seem like they're missing key ingredients. Luckily, epicurious provided an excellent batch two. I also think I've figured out my lifelong dislike for cream cheese ... I don't like Philadelphia cream cheese, but Liberté is delicious. Unfortunately for me, the frosting on these is made with Philadelphia because the Metro was out of Liberté (also unfortunately for me, I'll lose my favourite cream cheese if/when I leave Quebec).

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Spiced Molasses Cream Cheese Frosting (cupcakes adapted from epicurious.com, frosting from The Culinary Chronicles)

Ingredients
Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 teaspoon baking soda

1. Into a bowl sift together the flour, the ground ginger, the cinnamon, the cloves, and the salt.
2. In another bowl cream 1/2 stick of the butter, add the granulated sugar, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy.
3. Beat in the molasses and the egg, beating until the mixture is smooth.
4. In a measuring cup combine the baking soda with 1/2 cup boiling water and stir the mixture to dissolve the baking soda.
5. Stir the mixture into the molasses mixture (the mixture will appear curdled) and stir the molasses mixture into the flour mixture, stirring to combine the ingredients well.
6. Line twelve 1/2-cup muffin tins with paper liners and spoon the batter into the liners, filling them halfway.
7. Bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and let them cool.

Frosting
10 Ounces Cream Cheese, at room temperature (I only used 250g)
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
3-4 Cups Confectioner Sugar, sifted

1. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
2. Mix in molasses, cinnamon, and cloves.
3. Gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Continue adding sugar to desired consistency.
4. Fill a piping bag with the frosting and pipe large swirls on top of the cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment