Thursday, December 23, 2010

Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup

I debated posting this recipe because I thought it was too similar to this recipe, but this soup made me happy this week, so why not share? I may have made it a tad on the spicy side because I've been sick and can't taste much, so spice at your own risk.

Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup (liberally adapted from Running with Tweezers)


Ingredients
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp pinch chilli flakes
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup red split lentils
3 1/2 vegetable stock or water
1 can whole tomatoes
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked

1. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and spices and fry until fragrant.
2. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils have softened.
3. Add cooked chickpeas. Puree the soup with an immersion blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment