Sunday, December 12, 2010

Peppermint Meringues

I had originally planned on attempting macarons for a holiday party, but sadly forgot to thaw the egg whites I had stored in the freezer in time. I was discussing what to bring with the host when she requested meringues. This recipe was fairly simple and turned out wonderfully. My only complaint was that my egg whites never reached the stiff peaks stage. I'm not sure why, but it made the meringues more of a pain to pipe. Hopefully yours will work out better. [ETA: I'm fairly sure I added the extract too early. Recipe has been adjusted accordingly below.] I believe this is a Martha Stewart recipe, but I forgot to bookmark it when I found it and don't feel like searching for it again when I already remember the ingredients!

One year ago: Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts

Peppermint Meringues

Ingredients
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

1. Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Preheat oven to 175F.
2. Combine egg whites and sugar in a metal stand mixer bowl.
3. Place bowl over the simmering water. Stir until sugar is melted and mixture is warm, about 3 minutes.
4. Beat egg whites on high for 5 minutes or ideally until stiff peaks form.
5. Mix in the mint extract.
6. Pipe the egg whites into quarter sized cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (If you're feeling fancy, you could incorporate red stripes, but really, that's a step too far.)
6. Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes at 175F.

No comments:

Post a Comment