Sunday, January 30, 2011

Whole Wheat Jam Muffins

One of the many trials of winter is the lack of fresh fruit. Right now, I am craving fresh local raspberries, strawberries, and wild blueberries. I could do muffins with frozen fruit, but it's just not the same as cooking with fresh and snacking as you go. While I was in Alabama, I found a recipe for maple crunch muffins that I wanted to try, but I never have granola in the house and I keep forgetting to buy it. Instead, I went searching for another maple muffin this morning and found this recipe. It's not super-maple-y, but it does come together easily. Best of all, it only calls for ingredients that I almost always have on hand.

I scaled this recipe down and ended up with enough batter for 8 muffins. The scaled recipe is below.

Whole Wheat Jam Muffins (found online, originally from The Ultimate Muffin Book)

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 teaspoons jam (I used strawberry, but was wishing I had blueberry)

1. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin.
2 Whisk the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Set aside.
3 In a large bowl, whisk the egg until lightly beaten, then whisk in the honey and maple syrup until smooth, about 30 seconds.
4. Whisk in the milk, oil, and vanilla.
5. Finally, stir in the prepared flour mixture until incorporated.
6. Fill the prepared tins one-third full. Add 1 tsp jam to each muffin. Top with rest of batter.
7. Bake for 22 minutes, or until the muffins have rounded, cracked tops and a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
8. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release and remove it from the pan. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes more on the rack before serving. (If you have the discipline for this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment