Sunday, January 23, 2011

Espresso Black Bean Stew

I'm doing something I don't normally do and posting a few recipes I didn't make, but have on hand, ate, enjoyed, and don't want to lose/forget about. Officially, this is called chili, but it tastes so unlike anything I'm used to as chili that I had to change the name! It's delicious though and easy to make. I'm putting the original recipe here, when I make it, I'll probably add some cumin and epazote just because I can't leave well enough alone (maybe 1 tsp epazote and 1 tbsp cumin?). The smokiness of ancho chili powder also seems perfect for this dish, so if you have access to it, I'd recommend trying.

One year ago: Scrambled Eggs with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Cheese

Espresso Black Bean Stew/Chili (from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)

Ingredients
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
3 cups chopped tomato (if canned, don't drain)
1/2 to 1 cup freshly brewed espresso/1 to 2 cups brewed coffee/2 tbsp espresso powder
2 tbsp chili powder (see header for suggestions)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar/3 tbsp molasses
one 3-inch cinnamon stick
1 pound dried black beans, soaked
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Stir in tomato, espresso, brown sugar/molasses, chili powder (and other spices if using), cinnamon, and beans. Add enough water to cover.
4. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook stirring occasionally until bean start to soften, about 30 - 40 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Continue cooking until beans are tender, 45 minutes - 1.5 hours longer. Adjust seasonings to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment