Saturday, January 8, 2011

Minestrina Tricolore - Potato Soup with Carrots and Celery

This week my office mate admonished me for only having one recipe posted so far this month. I reminded her that we were only 6 days into the month and I'd barely be home, so she forgave me, but I'll warn you now that I may be slow in posting this winter. We'll see!

I made this recipe before leaving for my mini-vacation, mainly because I wanted to use up as much of the potatoes, celery, and carrots that I could before leaving. Non-new year's resolution: waste less food. This soup is thinner than I prefer, but it's good. I froze it all before I left and it was nice to have some homemade soup to come back to.

One Year Ago: Spinach Quiche

Minestrina Tricolore - Potato Soup with Carrots and Celery (from Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking)

Ingredients
680g potatoes
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp onion chopped fine
3 tbsp carrot chopped fine
3 tbsp celery chopped fine
5 tbsp freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1 cup milk
2 cups meat broth (I used chicken)
salt
2 tbsp chopped parsley
crostini (I omitted, but it would be a nice addition)

1. Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces. Place in a soup pot with enough water to cover, put a lid on the pot, and turn heat to medium high. Boil until tender, then puree. Set aside.
2. Put butter, oil, and chopped onion in a skillet at medium heat. Saute until onion is a pale gold.
3. Add carrot and celery and cook about 2 minutes, stirring. (You want them to stay crisp.)
4. Transfer skillet contents to the pot with potatoes. Turn heat to medium and add parmesan, milk, and broth. Stir and cook for several minutes until fat is floating on the surface. Don't let the soup get thicker than cream. Salt to taste.
5. Remove from heat, add parsley, ladle into individual bowls. Serve with additional parmesan and crostini.

No comments:

Post a Comment