Monday, January 9, 2012

Butternut Squash Pie

After returning home from vacation, the butternut squash was still sitting on the counter top taunting me. I guess I had thought that it would magically take care of itself, but no such luck. While flipping through my dessert cookbook, I discovered this recipe and took it as a sign. Why else would a recipe present itself for using up that stubborn squash? I have to admit that it didn't sound terribly enticing. I baked the pie and waited to eat it, uncertain to try. But the end result was fantastic. Maybe even better than my last pumpkin pie. It was silky smooth and rich, but not heavy. My one complaint is that there was way too much filling for my 9" pie.

One year ago: Vanilla Pudding
Two years ago: Red Pesto Penne with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Cheese

Butternut Squash Pie (from Ready for Dessert)

Ingredients
1 kg butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeds and strings removed
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
4 large eggs
3/4 cup (170g) brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Cognac or brandy
pie dough, prebaked into a 9" or 10" single-crust

1. Preheat over to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and smear with butter.
2. Place squash halves cut side down on baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Decrease oven to 375F.
3. In a food processor or blender, process cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, spices, vanilla, and Cognac until combined.
4. Add squash pulp to cream mixture and process until smooth.
5. Pour warm filling into prebaked pie shell and bake until barely set, 30 - 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment