Sunday, January 22, 2012

Flambéed Mangoes

I have a problem. I can't walk into the fruterie near my house without impulsively buying extra fruits and vegetables. This week's impulsive purchases were kiwis (12 for $2!) and mangoes (3 for 99 cents!). I really shouldn't be allowed to go to the store alone, but for some reason no one ever tries to stop me. I had thought the mango would make its way into a salad or maybe even a salsa, but as the weekend rolled around and still the mango remained, I decided it was time for a new plan. This recipe popped up as one of the first results on Eat Your Books ... and as luck would have it, I had all ingredients on hand. I showed it to the boy, not expecting him to be fully on board, because it did involve an open flame in the apartment, but of course I forgot, he LIKES playing with fire. The end result was a perfect end to a multicultural dinner. Tart and refreshing, be sure to pair it with some ice cream to offset the acidity of the orange. Next time, I might dial back on the orange just a little bit.

Flambéed Mangoes (from The Essential Cuisines of Mexico)

Ingredients
450g mangoes
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
zest of 1/2 orange
zest of 1/2 lime
1 ounce triple sec or cointreau
juice of 1/2 orange
juice of 1/2 lime
1 ounce white tequila

1. Peel mangoes, slice flesh off pits, and cut into thick strips.
2. Melt the butter in a chafing dish (or heavy skillet), stir in sugar and continue stirring until it has dissolved.
3. Add zests together with Triple Sec, heat mixture, and flame it.
4. When flames have died down, add juices and cook until reduced, about 2 minutes.
5. Add mango strips and heat until syrup begins to bubble.
6. Add tequila and heat through, flame again.
7. Serve immediately over ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment