Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chile-Coconut Braised Beef

I noticed this recipe a couple of weeks ago when we were in a warm spell. I mentally filed it away for a cold, rainy weekend when I needed a pick-me-up. Unhappily, such a weekend occurred, but happily I did have this dish to cheer me up. This is a satisfying, flavourful dish. I soaked up the very last bit of sauce with bread and may have briefly considered licking the bowl. The original recipes calls for boneless short ribs, but I couldn't find any relied on regular beef stewing meat instead. I reduced the cooking time slightly as well. I also had a bag of spinach that needed to be used up, so I added that to the dish. It gave the dish an extra bit of colour and saved me the trouble of cooking up a side. The recipe below is my modification with slightly reduced meat to make sure there's enough sauce for the spinach addition.

Chile-Coconut Braised Beef (slightly adapted from Cook This Now)

Ingredients
750g boneless beef short ribs or stewing meat, cut into 2" chunks
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapenos, minced
2" ginger, grated
1 shallot, minced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 can coconut milk
juice and zest of 2 limes
250g spinach, roughly chopped
chopped cilantro and scallions for serving

1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Season beef with salt, chili powder, and pepper.
3. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown beef. You may need to do this in batches.
4. Add garlic, jalapenos, ginger, shallot, and cumin seeds, stirring until fragrant and golden, 2 minutes.
5. Stir in coconut milk, lime zest and juice, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to simmer.
6. Cover and transfer pot to oven. Cook until beef is very tender, 2 - 2.5 hours.
7. Remove pot from oven and heat over low heat, add spinach in handfuls and stir in until spinach is wilted into the dish.
8. Serve garnished with cilantro and scallions with something to soak up the sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I made something very similar to this on the same night, but this sounds way better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying the cookbook this came from. Most of the recipes are fairly simple, but have great flavour!

      Delete