Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mexican Red Chorizo

I finally broke down and bought The Homesick Texan Cookbook. My only regret is that I didn't jump on it sooner (apparently I did at least order just in time because it is now only available through other sellers on Canadian Amazon). Other than the time spent rehydrating the chiles (30 minutes), this is remarkably quick and easy to make. Next time, I plan on making a larger batch and freezing it portioned out. In addition to saving me the trouble of searching for Mexican chorizo, making it yourself saves you the trouble of removing the sausage from its casing.

Mexican Red Chorizo (from The Homesick Texan)

Ingredients
2 dried guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
2 dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
450g ground pork (20% fat)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika (I used hickory smoked)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (I used Mexican)
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
2 tsp kosher salt

1. Heat dry skillet over high heat and toast guajillo and ancho chiles on each side for 10 seconds. Fill with water to cover chiles, bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover, and soak for 30 minutes. Discard water and rinse chiles.
2. In a blender, combine chiles, vinegar, onion, and garlic. Puree until smooth.
3. Add paste to pork along with remaining spices.
4. If possible, let flavours meld before using in other recipes. If just cooking chorizo, fry in a lightly greased skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment