Sunday, December 6, 2009

Egg Drop

I was never big on eggs for breakfast before I moved to Montreal, but now that I've been here a while, I can safely say I'm fully hooked.  The brunch choices here on the weekends are amazing ... whether it's feta omelets at Byblos, fancier eggs at Resevoir, or just a skillet full of delicious saltiness at Cartet.  With no brunch plans for the weekend, I decided I should take my own stab at a gourmet (but easy!) breakfast.  Kayotic Kitchen gave me some inspiration, but I didn't have fresh tomatoes on hand and I certainly didn't want to have to use a skillet in addition to the oven dish!  Additionally, since when is breakfast one egg per person, Kay?

No measurements below because I just eyeballed it.  I put all of this is a little 16 oz baking dish and it was the perfect breakfast for one.

Need a vegetarian twist?  Substitute sun-dried tomatoes for the meat and add ricotta salata to the mix.

Egg Drop (inspired by Kayotic Kitchen)

Ingredients

arugula
a few slices of prosciutto
grated cheese (I had leftover smoked grueyere and used that)
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cover the bottom of a small baking dish with arugula.
3. Tear/chop prosciutto into strips and layer on top of arugula.
4. Top with a little bit of grated cheese.
5. Crack two eggs on top of the cheese.  If the yolk doesn't break, break it yourself, but don't mix up the egg.
6. Bake in preheated over for 15 minutes or until the egg whites are firm.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment