Sunday, January 24, 2010

Walnut Pesto

I realized that I do an inordinate amount of brunching over the weekends today when 12:30 arrived and I was confused as to why I was hungry.  The problem?  I hadn't had a ridiculously large brunch at 11.  Not wanting to cook a full meal and deciding that I probably eat too many eggs anyways, I opted for trying a pesto recipe I'd seen on SK with a little leftover baguette.  It's quick, easy, and a good mix of flavours.  I substituted white wine vinegar for the sherry vinegar, left out the fresh thyme, and scaled down the recipe roughly to fit the amount of walnuts I had on hand.  I also wasn't reading closely, so I just put the chopped tomatoes and oil in the food processor before turning it on, but if you prefer to mince the sun-dried tomatoes with a knife, go right ahead!  The original recipe is included below with no changes.  I think this might also work well with pasta for a more typical meal.

Walnut Pesto (from Smitten Kitchen) (Adapted slightly from Jody Williams at Gottino in the West Village)

Ingredients

1 cup shelled walnuts, even better if you toast and cool them first
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
3 sprigs of thyme, cleaned
Salt
Small splash of sherry vinegar (I used a generous splash and felt it dominated too much; go easy)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (oil or dry-packed will both work)
1 loaf country bread, or a baguette, sliced

1. In food processor, coarsely grind walnuts, cheese, garlic, thyme, salt and vinegar. Stir in oil and tomatoes.
2. Grill or toast bread. While hot, top each slice with a heaping teaspoon of pesto.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment