Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rhubarb Custard Cake

I've been tempted to try rhubarb for a while thanks to food blog pressure. I'm glad I finally got around to it, although a little bit annoyed with myself that I let it take this long. This first foray into rhubarb goodness is quick to throw together and delicious. I found that I didn't use all of the sugar required to toss the rhubarb in, but perhaps that's because I used less rhubarb than the recipe called for (I didn't measure and used all of the rhubarb in the bundle, but maybe my 5 were on the small size?). I predict more rhubarb recipes in the near future ... assuming I can find more rhubarb!

Rhubarb Custard Cake (from Culinspiration)

Ingredients
Yellow cake:
1 1/4 (scant) c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil
1 egg
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Fruit & custard layer:
2 c. chopped rhubarb (about 3 large stalks, I used 5 smallish stalks)
1/2 c. sugar (I needed less)
1 c. whipping cream

1. In a medium bowl, toss rhubarb with the 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour an 8-in. round baking pan or large glass/ceramic baking dish.
2. Prepare cake batter: whisk together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In a larger bowl, mix egg, vanilla extract, oil, and milk. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet until thoroughly combined.
3. Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Scatter chopped rhubarb and juices evenly across the top. Pour the cream over top.
4. Bake 55-60 min. at 350F until cake springs back when touched.
5. Best served the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment