Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pistachio and rosewater meringues

While searching for something to do with frozen egg whites before moving, I stumbled across this recipe. I could've sworn I had rosewater in the pantry, but I didn't, so these became orange blossom meringues. I'm glad I found this recipe as it's a relatively simple dessert that's delicious. I scaled the recipe in half and am giving you the scaled version as I don't think my stand mixer could handle a larger batch and this makes a lot of meringue.

One year ago: Corn Soup with Scallions and Green Apples
Two years ago: Raspberry Limeade Slushies

Pistachio and rosewater meringues (from Ottolenghi)

Ingredients
300g granulated sugar
150g egg whites (about 5)
1 tsp rosewater or orange blossom water
30g pistachio nuts, finely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spread sugar evenly over oven tray lined with parchment. Put in oven for 8 minutes or until sugar is hot and starting to dissolve at edges.
2. While sugar is in oven, put egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk. When sugar is almost ready, turn mixer on high and let work for a minute or until egg whites start to froth.
3. Carefully pour sugar into whisking whites. Add rosewater and continue whisking on high for 10 minutes or until meringue is cold, beautifully smooth, and holds a shape.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 225F. Line a baking tray or two with parchment. Spread pistachios on a plate.
5. With 2 large spoons, scoop a dollop of meringue the size of an apple. Scrape onto place with pistachios to cover on one side. Place nuts up on baking tray. Repeat.
6. Place in oven and leave for 2 hours. Check if done. Store in a dry place at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment