Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cod Baked with Tahini Sauce

My greatest failing as a cook is that I rarely cook seafood dishes. We never had much in our house growing up, so I never find myself drawn to it. I've branched out a bit to shrimp and scallops, but still seem to remain afraid of fish. In an attempt to solve this, we recently signed up for a seafood CSA box that will give us one serving of seafood per week that's freshly caught. This past week was our first trial and I was incredibly happy with both the quality of the fish and the outcome of our dinner. The tahini sauce complimented the black cod nicely without overwhelming the fish. The original recipe suggests pomegranate seeds or nigella seeds as a garnish. I went with pomegranate because we had some in the fridge, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get them for this dish.

One year ago: Crisped Chicken with Chimichurri and Avocado
Two years ago: Spiced Pearsauce Cake
Three years ago: Potato Soup

Cod Baked with Tahini Sauce (from Moro)
Ingredients
4 thick cod fillets, skin on, 200g each
3 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds or 2 tsp nigella seeds, optional for garnish
Tahini Sauce
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp tahini paste
juice of 1 lemon
5 tbsp water
sea salt and black pepper

1. Prepare sauce. Crush garlic cloves to a paste with a pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in tahini and thin with lemon juice. Add water until the consistency of heavy cream.
2. Preheat oven to 425F.
3. Place an oven-safe frying pan over high heat. Add olive oil. Season code with salt and pepper.
4. Place cod skin-side up in hot pan and sear for 1 - 2 minutes.
5. Turn fish over and place in oven for 5 - 8 minutes until cooked through.
6. Pour tahini sauce into pan with fish to warm for 30 seconds.
7. Transfer fish to plates, spooning sauce over fish, and garnishing with seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment