Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wok-Seared Chicken Breasts with a Fennel-Tomato Sauce

Hello, my name is Amy and I'm an Indian food addict (Hi, Amy!). I know I go through phases with my cooking, but Indian seems to be one style that I come back to often. And when I come back, I remember how much I love it and don't want to stop cooking it! Of course, it really doesn't hurt that with a stocked Indian cupboard, it's cheap for me to make Indian food. For example, for this recipe, I needed to buy a tomato, cilantro, and a red onion. That's it! (The chicken was hiding pre-cut in the freezer.) One note if you're considering jumping on the bandwagon, it's worth seeking out an Indian store (or other ethnic market to buy spices from). My 200g bag of cumin seeds was $2.50 at the Indian store compared to $5 for a tiny bottle at the grocery store.

This particular dish is full of Indian flavour with a slightly smoky twist and delicate fennel. Restaurant quality, healthy, and ready in less than 30 minutes.

One year ago: Homemade pork and veal sausage
Two years ago: Raspberry Lemon Souffle
Three years ago: Guacamole Burger

Wok-Seared Chicken Breasts with a Fennel-Tomato Sauce (from 660 Curries)

Ingredients
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 small red onion, finely chopped
4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 lengthwise slices fresh ginger (2 1/2"x1"x1/8"), finely chopped
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
1 medium-size tomato, cored and finely chopped
2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, soaked in bowl of water and skimmed off before use
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp Punjabi garam masala

1. Preheat a wok over medium-high heat. Drizzle in oil. Sprinkle in cumin and fennel seeds and let sizzle, 5 - 10 seconds.
2. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until light brown, 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken and sear, 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato, fenugreek, cilantro, salt, cayenne, and turmeric. Cook, uncovered until tomato has softened, 2 minutes.
5. Pour in 1/4 cup water and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked, 5 - 7 minutes.
6. Stir in garam masala and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment