Monday, October 19, 2015

Curried Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Orange

Growing up, I wasn't a big fan of mayonnaise, so the idea of a salad like this would've just made me turn up my nose. I blame the french fries in Montreal (and perhaps discovering that Miracle Whip wasn't really mayonnaise?) for helping me overcome my aversion. The first time I saw them, I couldn't think of a worse thing to do to french fries. A year or so later? I caught myself asking for mayonnaise when I was served fries in the US. I'm glad I've moved on because it's opened up some delicious dishes to me. This one in particular caught my eye while trying to avoid heating up the house during a heat wave (I realize that those of you heading into winter may not appreciate this as much ... or maybe you will!). Of course, the heat wave broke an hour or so before dinner (Melbourne seems to be fond of extreme temperature shifts), so my efforts were for naught, but this fresh salad hit the spot with plenty of fruit and vegetables to balance out the creamy shrimp.

She calls for boiling and chilling the shrimp yourself to add more flavour. You certainly can (and I did), but it does take this dish from super quick and easy to a bit more planning required. You first need to simmer a quick stock with 1 carrot, 1 celery stick, 1 lemon, 1/2 sweet onion, 2 bay leaves, and some salt for 10 minutes. You take some of the stock out and chill it so it can serve as the ice bath for the shrimp (using ice in ziplock bags so you don't dilute it). The rest of the stock you use to boil the shell on shrimp in for 1 minute, before you chill them, then peel and devein. I'm sure it added flavour, it's just a little bit fussy for a weeknight. So the quick and easy version below? Just buy some cooked shrimp.

Two years ago: Summer King Salmon Kebabs
Three years ago: Indonesian Spice Cake
Four years ago: Sweet and Sour Napa Cabbage
Five years ago: Beef Rendang
Six years ago: Mint Brownies

Curried Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Orange (from Lighten Up Y'all)

Ingredients
1 tbsp finely chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup mayonnaise (she calls for light because it is a "light" cookbook, but you know I can't endorse that)
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 lb cooked and chilled shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped mint
grated zest of 2 oranges, with fruit set aside
1 avocado, seeded and chopped
5 oz arugula
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
kosher salt and pepper

1. Place onion in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until just tender, 25 seconds. (You can also sweat in a skillet, but why not save a dish?)
2. Let onion cool slightly, then add mayo, celery, and curry powder. Stir to combine.
3. Add shrimp, parsley, mint, and grated orange zest to mayo and season with salt and pepper.
4. Separate orange into segments. You can use the knife to slice off the top and bottom and then cut around or if yours is easy enough to peel, you can do it by hand.
5. Combine avocado, orange segments, and arugula in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
6. Pile salad among 6 plates, top with spoonful of shrimp, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment