Thursday, June 24, 2010

Potato Pesto Pizza

I've been on a pizza kick lately.  Not for standard pizzas, but for unique combinations that you wouldn't necessarily expect on pizzas.  After the success of the potato pasta, I started noticing posts for potato pizza.  Initially, I was tempted by the mashed potato pizza ... similar to an appetizer I used to enjoy in New Jersey.  Eventually, though, I saw this post.  Sliced potatoes with pesto seemed even better than a loaded baked potato pizza.

I didn't really follow the recipe at all, so click on the link above if you want to try the original.  Regular pesto didn't appeal to me much, so I decided to try the broccoli pesto I'd made before (I think this would also be amazing with the asparagus pesto!).  This was delicious.

Potato Pesto Pizza

Ingredients
1 pizza crust (homemade  or another idea or bought)
1 cup broccoli pesto (I made the full recipe and mixed the leftovers with some leftover cooked potatoes ... delicious!)
2 cups potatoes (I used tiny baby potatoes)
1 cup grated mozzarella
1/3 cup grated Parmesan (optional)

1. Preheat oven with pizza stone inside to 500F.  (Perhaps it's about time to stop making pizzas ... or switch to grilling them!)
2. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  Place potatoes inside and boil for 15 - 20 minutes.  If you're making broccoli pesto, you can save a pot by adding in the broccoli for the last few minutes.
3. Drain potatoes, cool slightly, and slice.  (You could save some time by slicing first and then boiling.)
4. Top pizza crust with pesto and mozzarella.  Layer on potato slices.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Slide pizza onto stone with a pizza peel.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment