Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fettucine Alfredo (Hazan Recipe)

There's something about the colder weather that makes me crave cheese. It's not that I don't eat plenty of cheese in the summer, but as the weather cools I want cheese on everything. On my walk home this week, I was debating stopping at the store to indulge in a dinner of baguette and cheese, but at some point I decided I'd be somewhat more responsible and cook something using ingredients I had on hand. I've posted a fettucine alfredo before. This recipe is less saucy than the other (although next time I'd probably make it with a little less pasta as the pasta absorbed everything a bit too much for my taste). Surprisingly, I like this without the added garlic and other seasonings (just a hint of nutmeg). Make sure you use a good quality Parmesan. Hazan recommends pairing this sauce with homemade fettucine or tortellini.

One year ago: A less simple pasta ... tortellini with walnut and mascarpone sauce

Fettucine Alfredo (from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking)

Ingredients
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp butter
500g fettucine or tortellini
2/3 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
salt
black pepper
whole nutmeg

1. In a large and deep skillet (suitable for tossing pasta), put in 2/3 cup of heavy cream and butter over medium heat. Cook for less than 1 minute, until cream and butter have thickened. Turn off heat.
2. Cook pasta, draining while it is still very firm and even slightly underdone.
3. Transfer drained pasta to the pan with butter and cream. Turn heat to low and toss pasta thoroughly.
4. Add remaining 1/3 cup cream, 2/3 cup grated Parmesan, a pinch of salt, a few grindings of pepper, and a very tiny grating (less than 1/8 tsp) of nutmeg.
5. Toss again until pasta is well coating. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment