Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pomegranate and Fennel Salsa Quinoa

This recipe originally called for serving the salsa with pork chops, but I'd used my pork on the sweet and sour pork dish, so I decided to pair it with quinoa instead. I had some extra shrimp in the freezer, so I threw that in as well. If you're going vegetarian and trying to make this more of a meal, I think chickpeas would also meld well with this. Apparently I'm not a big fan of fennel and I could've very happily done without it and maybe add some walnuts to the salsa, but I know some people like fennel. This needed a bit more acid but I was low on rice vinegar, so I added a squeeze of lemon juice.

One year ago: Swiss chard and sweet potato gratin

Pomegranate and Fennel Salsa Quinoa (adapted from Gourmet Today)

Ingredients
1 large fennel bulb
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 large pomegranate)
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1 tsp seasoned rice vinegar (maybe a little more or some lemon juice)
2 tsp mild honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup quinoa
cooked shrimp/cooked chickpeas/cooked pork chops

1. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. When done, remove from heat and let sit a few minutes covered.
2. Meanwhile, cut off and discard fennel stalks. Halve fennel bulb lengthwise, core it, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring until just tender, 6 - 8 minutes.
4. Transfer fennel to bowl and stir in pomegranate seeds, scallions, cilantro, vinegar, honey, and salt.
5. Mix salsa in with quinoa. Add protein of your choice. Season if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment