Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tomato, Pesto, Mozzarella Salad

Another recipe borrowed from a friend. I had people over for a potluck last night and when I went to get seconds of this salad, I realized it was gone (as were the enchiladas)! Given that salad isn't the first thing you'd expect to disappear, I think that's a fairly good sign. The original also has beans and while I appreciate beans, I don't really see them adding much here.

Tomato, Pesto, Mozzarella Salad (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Ingredients
3/4 to 1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound peak-season tomatoes (SK prefers roma for this because they’re less wet, but other varieties also work), diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup pesto (or a handful of slivered basil plus 1/4 cup olive oil)
3 to 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix and season and then reseason again to adjust to your taste.
2. Eat at once or keep it in the fridge up to a few days (really, it will depend on how fresh your mozzarella is; the made-daily stuff is only good for a day or two, most others will last nearly a week).

No comments:

Post a Comment