Saturday, June 15, 2013

Baked Herb Polenta

While I really enjoyed our beef rib dinner, the polenta stole the show for me (although I don't think the boy would agree). I don't know if it's because the heirloom variety of polenta that I ended up with was really worth the premium or the combination with quality Gruyere cheese, but I would've been happy with just a bowl of polenta for dinner.

One year ago: Garlicky Cashew Pork with Pineapple Skewers

Baked Herb Polenta (from The Herbfarm Cookbook)

Ingredients
1 tbsp unsalted butter
4 1/2 cups water
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup medium-coarse ground cornmeal
2 tbsp finely chopped marjoram
1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (3 ounces)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish with butter.
2. Bring water with salt to a boil in medium saucepan. Slowly sprinkle in cornmeal as you whisk constantly.
3. Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens, 5 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in marjoram, thyme, and half of cheese.
5. Spread polenta in prepared dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until bubbling and edges begin to brown, 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment