Sunday, October 17, 2010

Apple and Cheddar Scones

I think I'm going to have to get over my scone prejudice. These are delicious (although not quite as cheesy as I was expecting!). I made no changes to the recipe. Click on the link if you'd like a non-stand mixer version. One word of warning ... this isn't a quick recipe, but it's worth it.

Apple and Cheddar Scones (from Smitten Kitchen, adapted from The Perfect Finish)

2 firm tart apples
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for sprinkling
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt plus additional for egg wash
6 tablespoons (85 grams)unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup (65 grams) sharp white cheddar, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

1. Position a rack at the center of oven and preheat oven to 375 °F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Peel and core apples, then cut them into 16 chunks.
3. Place apples in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them until they take on a little color and feel dry to the touch, about 20 minutes. Leave oven on.
4. Cool apples completely in fridge.
5. Sift or whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
6. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, along with cooled apple chunks, cheese, cream and one egg. Sprinkle flour mixture over the top and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together. Do not overmix.
7. Generously flour your counter top and place the scone dough on top of it. Sprinkle with flour. Use a rolling pin to gently roll (or use your hands to pat) the dough into a 1 1/4-inch thick, 6-inch circle. Cut circle into 6 wedges.
8. Transfer them to a baking sheet that has either been buttered or lined with a fresh sheet of parchment paper. Leave at least 2 inches between each scone.
9. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle them with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
10. Bake until firm and golden, about 30 minutes. With a spatula, lift them to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment