Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa

My friend gave me this recipe over the summer and I kept meaning to make it and forgetting (and I was out of quinoa! how'd that happen?). I skipped on the scallions because I didn't have them on hand, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. When I read it, I thought it needed cheese ... maybe feta? I did try it without the cheese and it was good, but I think it's better with cheese (as most things are). If you have access to queso fresco or oaxaca cheese, either one of those would probably work even better than feta, but feta's easy to find!

One year ago: My first quiche (and apparently the first snow of the year ... thank goodness it's warmer this year!)

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa (from epicurious)


Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used 2/3 cups dried beans, soaked and then cooked + 1/2 tsp epazote)
2 medium tomatoes, diced (I used 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
feta/queso fresco/oaxaca cheese to taste

1. Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
2. Bring quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium pot to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff.
3. Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment