Sunday, December 26, 2010

Top 10 Savoury Dishes of 2010

I suppose the top 10 of 2010 is a little cliche, but it's been a good year for cooking and after posting more than 150 recipes for the year, perhaps it's time to narrow the field to the recipes that were the most memorable. I had thought about picking the best recipe for each month, but that's a little unfair to the truly delicious months. I also realized that I have entirely too many desserts to do one list of favourite recipes, so here is the first installment ... the top 10 savoury dishes of 2010 (in chronological order). This list doesn't seem to capture a lot of my cooking for the year. Notably lacking are vegetarian dishes, such as couscous, lentil, pesto, and tomato/olive pasta dishes. I think it's because I see most of those recipes as things that I regularly adapt and throw together without closely following a recipe. The recipes below are things I would make again without changing things or recipes that were unique enough that I clearly remember them.

Spinach and Cheese Strata - The new year started off well with this delicious breakfast dish. Cheese and bread make me happy.
Peanut Curry Noodles with Seared Shrimp and Scallops - I am in love with the sauce in this dish. Over the course of the year, I think I've made this at least 3 times, sometimes with the seafood and sometimes without. It also seems to be fairly popular with the people in my office and the smell of it at lunch definitely makes me want to cook it again.
Shaved Asparagus Pizza - I had fun making a variety of unique pizzas over the course of the year, but I think this one was my favourite. Local asparagus makes me happy ... and of course goat cheese, tomatoes, and mozzarella can only make asparagus better. I look forward to making this pizza again when asparagus is back in season.
Spaghetti Carbonara - I made this before the whole egg salmonella scare and I'm glad I did, because otherwise I would've been hesitant to try this recipe. My only complaint with this recipe is that I can't have it for leftovers at work.
Chicken Tikka Masala - Don't let the ingredient list scare you away from trying this recipe. This recipe alone made me feel like 660 Curries was a good investment.
Bolognese Meat Sauce - There's a good reason Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is my favourite cookbook of the year. The recipes are generally simple, relying on quality ingredients. This sauce requires some patience (particularly if you up the quantity while cooking), but it's worth it.
Kung Pao Chicken - Be careful not to overdo it on the dried chiles! I may have been accused of trying to kill people from the fumes while this cooks, but I think the recipe is worth it. I have a huge soft spot for Asian flavours though.
Curried Peanut and Tomato Soup - This soup made me so happy, a last minute delicious dish before I went to Alabama for Thanksgiving and a nice welcome home meal after I returned. The best part of all is it can be made using ingredients that you generally have on hand.
Sweet and Sour Pork - I have some pork sitting in the freezer right now waiting to be used for this recipe. The sauce is simple and smells and tastes amazing. The next time I make this I'll probably skip the deep frying and make it an even quicker dish.
Black Bean Pumpkin Soup - I made this soup because I was trying to use up some excess pumpkin puree. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but I love beans (my top three are black beans, pinto beans, and chickpeas). After some mistakes and substitutions along the way, the end result for me could only be described as comfort food in a bowl.

Agree/disagree? Did I miss one of your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment