Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top 10 Desserts of 2010

Once again, a list in chronological order. Missing from both these lists are some rather fantastic muffins over the course of the year, but I wasn't sure where to put them!

Chocolate Souffle Cupcakes with Mint Cream - I conquered my fear of souffles this year. These are souffles that are supposed to fall ... making them even easier! The first time I made these, I overbeat the whipped cream, but I never made that mistake again. These cupcakes were so good and simple that they became a regular part of our work birthday celebrations thanks to one of my amazing co-workers.
Grapefruit Yogurt Cake - I've lost count of how many times I've made this dessert (both on request and as a pick me up surprise for people). It's easy to put together, even if some people claim the recipe is cursed (with luck your oil won't be rancid and your oven will cooperate!). My secret to making it extra rich is to use Liberte Mediterranean yogurt.
Chocolate Orbit Cake with Blackberry Cassis Sauce - This is rich, decadent chocolate at its finest. Some recipes I share so I only end up with a bite, other recipes I horde and keep mostly to myself. This one definitely fell into the latter category.
Blackberry Lemon Meringue Pie - Two types of curd topped off with a meringue? Yes please! It's the perfect summer dessert, except for that whole pesky needing to turn on the oven bit. Last night, a friend identified a source for meyer lemons for me, so I'm foreseeing making this again next year when the berries are in season. Maybe as a strawberry and meyer lemon meringue pie ... or what about a raspberry lime meringue pie? So many possibilities.
Cheesecake Marbled Brownies - After a summer-long brownie moratorium, I tried this recipe. It unseated my classic raspberry cheesecake brownie recipe (the same one that's somewhat responsible for this blog starting). The original calls for chocolate chips, but this recipe is divine with raspberries as well. I'll have a hard time trying another cheesecake brownie recipe.
Lemon and Cranberry Scones - The fact that I'm even considering remaking this scone recipe means it did something very, very right. If you're a fan of scones, you shouldn't miss these.
Cappuccino Fudge Cheesecake - Rich, dense, insanely good, but a ridiculous amount of work. I love this cheesecake, but I'm not sure I'll ever make it again ... maybe for a VERY special occasion.
Spiced Pearsauce Cake - Moist and flavourful. This cake may have a special place in my heart solely because it saved several breakfasts for me while I was in Alabama for Thanksgiving.
Peppermint Meringues - A simple, cheap holiday dessert that tastes amazing. If you want to make it extra special, drizzle or dip in melted chocolate.
French Lemon Cream Pie - A last minute addition to Christmas dinner ... and I'm so glad I added it. This pie is ridiculously creamy. I've made a lot of lemon curd and cream variations over the past year and this one topped them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment