Monday, July 19, 2010

Apricot Blueberry Cobbler

I knew I had to make this as soon as I saw the photos on Smitten Kitchen (it's sad how many times a week that happens). I went to the store with every intention of buying peaches, but was somehow seduced by adorable looking apricots, so I substituted. I think I also put a bit too much lemon juice in my milk to make buttermilk (1 tbsp per 1 cup is the standard) because it showed more of a change than usual and imparted a lemony taste to the cornbread portion. I think the extra lemon was a wonderful accent. I have no idea how many apricots and blueberries I used, I think I was a little apricot heavy and blueberry light, but it's forgiving.

This was as delicious as the photos. I think I need to make a run to the store tomorrow to pick up some ice cream to go with it!

Apricot Blueberry Cobbler (adapted from Smitten Kitchen) (Adapted from The Lee Bros. delightful Simple Fresh Southern)

Ingredients
For the fruit:
4 cups apricots, pitted and cut into slices
2 cups blueberries, rinsed and dried
2/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 tbsps flour
2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
For the biscuit topping
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup fine stone-ground cornmeal (I think this is corn flour in Mtl)
3 tbsps dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsps cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss apricots with blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt in the bottom of a 2-quart ovenproof dish.
3. Make the biscuit dough: Stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Cut the butter into the dry mixture with your fingertips, a fork or a pastry blender.
5. Stir in buttermilk with a rubber spatula until a wet, tacky dough comes together.
6. Plop spoonfuls of the biscuit dough over the filling; don’t worry about covering entire surface.
7. Bake until the cobbler’s syrup is bubbly and the biscuit tops are browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly and scoop it into bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment