Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chicken Curry with Tomatoes, Potatoes, and Spinach

One of the advantages of keeping a cooking blog is it's easy for me to track my cooking trends. I knew it had been a while since I bought chicken, but I was slightly surprised to see that the last time I bought chicken was October. I suppose it's time for poultry again! I wasn't quite ready to do a completely meat-centered meal though, so I cut the amount of chicken in the recipe in half and replaced it (roughly) with potatoes. To add some colour to the dish, I included some baby spinach (doesn't it look pretty with the red and green?).


The key to this recipe is a good spice blend. I used a Arvinda's madras masala mix that smells amazing. I also doubled the sauce for the recipe because 1/4 cup coconut milk just didn't seem like enough. Doubling the curry powder as well made it a tad bit spicy, so feel free to scale that back a bit depending on the spiciness of what you're using. I skipped the step where you remove the chicken and let the sauce thicken more, but feel free to do so!

Chicken Curry with Tomatoes, Potatoes, and Spinach (adapted from 660 Curries)

Ingredients
2 tbsps ghee or canola oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsps ginger, grated
350g chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
4 small potatoes, diced (even smaller than the picture above!)
4 tsps Madras curry powder (see notes above)
1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 package baby spinach
cooked rice for serving

1. Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle oil. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until light brown, 3 - 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken, potatoes, and curry powder. Cook until meat is seared on all sides, 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle salt over chicken and pour in coconut milk. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked, 5 - 7 minutes.
4. Stir in tomatoes and add baby spinach.
5. Cover for a few minutes, allowing the spinach time to wilt.
6. Stir until sauce is as thick as you want it. Serve over cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment