Thursday, July 1, 2010

Leftover Skillet Eggs

Happy Canada Day!  I'm not sure when July snuck up on me, but here it is.  I'm also not sure why it's cold, but the forecast says that should be corrected soon.  I wanted something hearty for breakfast this morning as I have plans of spending most of the day at the park reading ... with a sweater?  (Although, the window in my kitchen seems to show blue skies giving way to grey, so I'm not sure how well this is going to go!)  I was tired of scrambled and baked eggs, but remembered a recipe from The Dog's Breakfast that looked promising (a Montreal blog even!).  Instead of nesting the eggs in a tomato sauce though, I decided it made more sense to use up some of my leftover red lentil and chickpea stew.  Delicious, easy, and filling.  I would use this technique with almost any savoury leftovers that pair well with eggs.

Leftover Skillet Eggs

Ingredients
Leftover red lentil and chickpea stew/canned tomatoes with seasoning/other delicious leftovers
2 eggs per person
salt & pepper to taste

1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat.  Cover with leftovers of your choice.  Heat for a few minutes.
2. Crack eggs one at a time into a small dish.  Form a little nest in your leftovers and pour into the pan.  (You could crack the egg directly into the pan, but do you really want to risk breaking the yolk and ruining the dish?)
3. Heat pan mixture until egg whites have set.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment