Monday, July 19, 2010

Blueberry Cake Muffins

I debated whether or not to even post this recipe, because the other blueberry muffin recipe so clearly beats this one for me. This one is too much like eating a cake (yes, I was warned it was cake-like, but I didn't realized my strong anti-cake muffin feelings until trying it). That being said, I think it could be converted to a very lovely coffee cake ... and mainly for that reason, I don't want to lose this recipe (and since I found it on a chowhound thread, losing it permanently is a very likely possibility!).

I cut the recipe in half, but the original for 12 muffins is included below. If I were making it again, I might cut back a little on the nutmeg because I found it slightly overwhelming. I also skipped out on cake flour (yes, I know I need to buy some) and cheated on the buttermilk (why oh why can't I find it in the grocery store again? I can't make the red velvet cake recipe I want to make until I find the real thing!). Note also that the crumble makes a ridiculous amount and could probably be halved for the 12 muffins.

P.S. It's hard to type with a cat trying to sleep on your hand. What do you do with a super needy, shedding furball?

Blueberry Cake Muffins (from Fine Cooking July 2002)

Ingredients
For the crumble:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Scant 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh blueberried, picked over

1. Heat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
2. Make the crumble by combining flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add butter and work in with fingertips or pastry blender until uniform and moist. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
3. Make Muffins: Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
4. In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 mins.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after you add each one.
6. Scrape sides and add vanilla.
7. On low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating between buttermilk in two additions.
8. Gently fold in the berries with a spatula.
9. Spoon into the muffin cups until they are almost full.
10. Scatter a good amount of crumble over the batter in the muffin cups.
11. Bake until the tops are golden and springy to the touch. 20-25 minutes for regular muffins, 30 to 35 for large.
12. Cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment