Sunday, September 25, 2011

Celery Root and Apple Puree

I wasn't entirely sure that I was a puree person, but I love celeriac (or celery root) and had too many apples. This made a great side dish for pork (and is a nice alternative to a more traditional applesauce). I scaled this recipe in half (I think their celeriacs are bigger than the ones I find here) and ended up with more than 2 servings. The original is included below.

Celery Root and Apple Puree (from Gourmet Today)

Ingredients
900g celery root
1 Gala, Empire, or McIntosh apple
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg

1. Peel celery root and cut into 1" cubes. Peel and core apple and cut into 1" pieces.
2. Melt butter in a 2 to 3 quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat. Add celery root and apple with salt and stir to coat with butter. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Puree mixture in a food processor until smooth. Return to pot.
4. Stir in cream, pepper, and nutmeg.
5. Heat, covered, over medium heat, stirring until hot, about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment